Friday, May 1, 2009

Thai Spices

This place is super new. I think it opened in the past week. Since we love Thai food, we had to try it. Thai Spice is located at Monkey Junction across from Home Depot at 5552 Carolina Beach Road. Since I was not in the mood to sit and eat, I ordered a tofu pad Thai and a chicken green curry to go. The interior is rather empty with only a few wall hangings, but clean. The brightly painted walls give the place a nice feel however. I was glad to see there were about 6 couples eating here on a Thursday.

It turned out they gave me chicken pad Thai rather than tofu. There were pieces of tofu in the meal, but the chicken was obviously there too. No worries though, I am willing to give places a break on this mix-up. But if I were a vegetarian, it might be an issue. Nonetheless, the pad Thai was a little sticky but the taste was still good. I would have liked a little more fish sauce and bean sprouts just to give it that street food taste one can find in Bangkok. The pad Thai was not 'wow' but it was still good. I found the serving to be slightly smallish.

The green chicken curry was however 'wow.' It had a great spicy taste that left my mouth wanting more. It had a little zing which is a good thing for a green curry. I was very pleased with this meal. The vegetables were really fresh and crisp. This meal tasted like food you get in Thailand. Very nice. The serving size here was quite large.

The lunch prices were around $8 a meal where as most diner prices were $10-$12 a meal. Our total bill came up to $24.53 for two meals.

I will definitely be back to Thai Spice. I am not sure I care to eat in, but for pick up, count me in!


Lynn says................
I really enjoyed this meal both for dinner and for lunch the next day. Thai food for me is very much a comfort food and Thai Spice hit the spot. I would have preferred larger squares of tofu and no chicken in my pad thai and the noodles were a little dry. In the future I will be sure to ask for a little extra fish sauce and bean sprouts but overall the flavor was good and well worth it.

The green curry - YUM!! I love green curry and this dish was flavorful, spicy and fresh.

I am aware when I eat Thai food I am comparing it to my first experience with Thai food ever - a little place in Minneapolis call Tru Thai. Never did I try a dish there that I wasn't surprised at the depth of flavor and freshness of ingredients. Thai Spice didn't bring me back to Minneapolis but it is definately a retaurant I will be sure to come back to soon to try a few other dishes.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't wait for this place to open! I went there on their first night. They hadn't even gotten their credit card reader yet and when I offered my card, they just said "come back and pay next time".

    Well, "next time" has turned out to be about two or three times a week ever since!

    Thai food is my favorite and I've dined in Thai Resturants all over the country. NONE are as good as Thai Spice. Flavor, friendliness, service, price... Thai Spice has it ALL!

    ReplyDelete