Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bon Appetit

Yesterday we (re) visited Bon Appetit. This is a small restaurant run by Gene Costa from Long Island, New York. He does catering for the stars but also manages to run this little restaurant located at 3704 Carolina Beach Road. Lynn and I found this place when we first moved to Wilmington. It is located in a pretty nondescript location. Unless you were looking for a place to eat, you might miss it. But that would be a mistake.

On this trip, we had company in town. I ordered the shrimp and grits. I had this treat many, many times here and absolutely love it. Many of my Northern friends think it sounds gross, but I am absolutely smitten with this one. The grits are stone ground, not instant. The shrimp are so plump and luscious, they just pop when you bite into them. Gene makes a wonderful lobster sauce where the shrimp and grits happily swim together. The meal is topped off with tomatoes, bacon bits (real bacon of course), and cheese. It is out of this world. 

I have had many of their breakfast specials including their triple berry malted waffles and poor man's egg Benedict. On the weekend they cook up something special. I usually have to try what is on the menu just for that day. Oh yeah, they just started selling baked goods. I have not tried them....yet. 

Bon Appetit also serves lunch. I had their chicken Philly a few months past and it was fantastic. Up until the economy hit hard, they served dinner and pizza. Their New York style pizza was scrumptious. I am waiting for the dinner / pizza to return. For now, I will be content with breakfast / lunches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment