Monday, April 20, 2009

Big Thai

For an early Sunday night meal, we headed to the Brooklyn Arts district to try Big Thai located at 1001 North 4th Street.  After its sister restaurant closed up shop in downtown Wilmington, I expected much the same. Having ate at the sister restaurant, I expected the same quality and the same great taste. 

Big Thai's orange building  screams"Hey you, check me out!" or "Attention, good stuff inside!" The interior atmosphere is a little odd and does not give that Thai feeling. It has high ceilings that make it look as if it belongs in a strip mall. I tried the restroom and thought I was actually in Bangkok. Let's just say it was in bad shape. But hey, it did have running water so I knew I was in the States.  

Looks aside, I was ready to have some great Thai food. We shared a few meals: Chicken Pad Thai, tofu green curry, and a vegetable mix with chicken. Now I have had many plates of Pad Thai in my time including eating it from many street vendors in Bangkok. This version simply did not do it for me. It was a little bland for my taste and the noodles were sticky and mushy. I barely tasted any fish sauce. The taste was fine for an everyday plate of Pad Thai, but it was not what I expected. The curry was only so so too. It was spicy which was a good thing. But it was served on a plate where there was very little sauce. Being spread on a large plate made the meal cold to the touch when it arrived. It seems as if serving curry in a bowl would be a better option. The third meal was only OK. OK enough to say I cannot remember it the next morning. 

I have had their coconut cake on at least three occasions. Each time the slice was huge! So, three of us decided to share. To our dismay,  there must have been a shortage of cake. The slice was tiny at best. The taste rocked as always, but the portion size was very disappointing. 

I hate to say it, but our experience was only mediocre. I love Thai food and really wanted to find a favorite place where I would pick up carry out to take home or a place that could be my Asian get away. I wish I could say it were so, but this was not the place. 

I will try Big Thai again....but sadly, very sadly I must say I was not wowed this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment